home
Blog

Friday 16 December 2016

Quipucamayo

A new work, from my walking as research and using ropes to record memory. 

This week i am making connections, from further reading and a visit to the Rauschenberg exhibition at the Tate Modern.

A Pole storing the cords from one of my walks
Khipu cords are paths guiding the hand, eye and mind to the trans-temporal source of things


From further reading, the  concept is not uniquely Andean.

Further evidence cited of recording  and storing information on a cord:

Herodotus mentions one in use during the Persian Wars.
New Mexico Pueblos
The Ryukun Islands
Hawaii

Furthermore, a biblical reference:
Numbers15: 37 - 38
Prescribes knotted fringes as a vector of memory.


Connection with Robert Rauschenberg:

I visited the Rauschenberg exhibition at the Tate Modern this week,. As I made my piece QUIPUCAMAYO  and  my ideas, developed, it felt very connected with  Rauschenberg's central occupation from the 1980's and beyond  using art as a tool for the promotion of intercultural dialogue. 

for more about the Rauschenberg exhibition

Looking forward:

I will be organising two new walks in the new year, in London and Margate. The walks are an opportunity to openly and collaboratively engage in sited poetry readings and interventions. I will be posting more information in January. Please get in touch if you would like to take part in planning and taking part in either of  these walks.

No comments:

Post a Comment