home
Blog

Saturday 27 September 2014

 I have been making new work, while preparing for my artists talk at Anecdotes Design on Saturday October 11th as part of the Folkestone Triennial Fringe.

The first is acrylic and collage on paper. Sold on the day I finished it....I love the freedom of working on paper. As soon as it was done I knew its title, hope you can recognise the line from a  famous poem,

"as idle as a painted ship on a painted ocean"


The next two are acrylic on paper. I wanted to keep a record of the colours I was using, and the process reminded me of those prints you see in restaurants and hotels of flowers with  botanical annotations. 
 Flowers 2014

 Fruit 2014

In the painting below I took shapes and colours from the previous two images of works on paper onto canvas where I abstracted the original shapes and explored the space in between, which to my mind is as important to the final piece as the painted areas and gives cohesion to the painting. 

 Fallow, 2014,acrylic on canvas  60 x 46 cm

I like the simplicity of the work and how significant the colours have become as colour itself, rather than referencing or enhancing a figurative recognisable object. I suppose that that is the power of abstraction! Hope you enjoy looking at these.



No comments:

Post a Comment